Child tax credit: you will need an ID.me account to manage upcoming payments
Eligible U.S. parents whofor the expansion of the child tax credit this year will receive checks this Thursday. But that doesn’t mean that there is nothing to do before the big day. New are open to help you verify your eligibility, sign up for the tax credit if you are , or monthly payments if you prefer a large payment instead. Even though the deadline to change your information for the July 15 check has passed, there is still time for the August check.
But you’ll need an ID.me account to manage your upcoming payments, banking information, and eligibility. The account will bring you important advantages: it will soon allow you to update the tax agency onso you will receive the correct amount of money. You can use it now to update your direct deposit information and next month you can update your mailing address. If parents haven’t updated their banking information for July, they’ll still receive a check in the mail.
We’ll walk you through how to create an ID.me account and how to opt out of the 2021 Child Tax Credit Prepayment Program, if that’s what you choose to do. To learn more, here’s how to calculate your estimated total, you can also and if you receive payments this year.
Why do i need an ID.me account for child tax credit payments?
ID.me is an online tool used by the IRS, the Treasury Department, the Social Security Administration, and other government agencies to verify your identity. Once you’ve been verified on a site that uses ID.me, you can use the same login details on any other site that uses the secure login service.
Currently, the IRS uses ID.me only for its child tax credit tools. If you don’t want to collect the child tax credit advance payments this year and would rather receive a large payment next year, you will need this account with the IRS to do so. If you already have an IRS account and username, you can use them instead.
you may want to unsubscribe and what are the deadlines for doing so.
How to create an ID.me account?
Before you begin, you’ll need to gather a handful of things, including your Social Security number, some photo ID – like a driver’s license or passport – and a phone or computer with a camera.
1. Head to the Child Tax Credit Update Portal and press the blue button, Unsubscribe from advance payments. On the next page, press the button marked ID.me Create an account.
2. Now enter your email address and choose a password, then tap Create an account.
3. Learn more about the ID.me service and press Carry on.
4. ID.me will ask you to confirm your email address and give you the option to configure– an additional step that you can take to prove that it is you who is making the request and not someone else who is trying to access your account.
5. Then upload a photo of your photo ID. Then take and upload a selfie using your phone or computer camera. If you want to use your phone, ID.me will send a text message with a link to take and submit your photos.
6. Once you’ve uploaded your images, you enter your social security number and confirm the other information you’ve entered. When you are ready, click Carry on.
7. ID.me will send you an SMS confirming that you want to create an account. If you want to continue, click Authorize and continue to the ID.me page to send the verification to the IRS.
If ID.me is unable to verify you, you will be given the option to make a video call with a âtrusted arbiterâ to complete your verification.
Here isand for payments. For more financial benefits this year, here’s how to save money on and .