RECIPE: Butter Bean Burgers – Articles & Videos, Featured, Health Topics, Wellness
September 2, 2021
1 15-ounce can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1â2 cup of red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup carrots, grated and finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1â2 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1â4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
3â4 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
6 to 12 large leaves of butter lettuce
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, coarsely mash the drained beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients through the brown rice. Mix well.
- Shape into 6 patties, 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through, turning the patties once halfway through cooking.
- Place in a lettuce leaf. Garnish with avocado, thinly sliced ââred onions, cilantro and tomatoes.
Makes 6 patties
Per patty: 145 calories, 6 g of protein, 18 g of carbohydrates (4 g of fiber), 6 g of fat (1 g of sat, 5 g of mono / poly fat), 230 mg of sodium
Next Steps and Resources:
The material provided by HealthU is intended to be used for general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your doctor for individual care.