Tigers Rout Valparaiso 13-0 to open 2022 campaign
MEMPHIS, TN – Behind a dominant shot and at least one run in five of their eight trips to the plate, the Memphis Tigers (1-0) easily handled the Valparaiso Beacons (0-1) in a 13-0 rout on the day of the opening. Three Memphis pitchers combined for a one-hitter shutout, while nine different players recorded at least one hit.
Memphis: 13, Valparaiso: 0
How did it happen:
- HPR Connor Shamblin (W, 1-0) allowed just one hit, one first-inning single, more than six shutout innings in his Memphis debut
- Shamblin hit seven and only walked one
- The Tigers took the lead in the second inning on a two-out RBI single by LF Ian Bibiloni
- Memphis doubled the lead to 2-0 on a two-out RBI single by 3B Logan Kohler one picture later
- With a run already crossed in the fifth inning against RHP Trent Turzenski (L, 0-1), Kohler homered two runs off the right field wall to put Memphis ahead 5-0.
- RF Blake Daniels notched a two-run single in the sixth inning of his Tigers’ debut, as Memphis led 8-0 after six innings
- The Tigers sent eight men to the plate in a five-run eighth inning to lead 13-0, the eventual final
- HPR Landon Gartman and HPR hudson ross each threw scoreless relief out of the bullpen on their respective Memphis debuts
- Six different Tigers made their Memphis debuts in the win
- It was the third straight opening day win for the Tigers
- In addition to the team’s first hit and first home run of the season, Logan Kohler finished with three hits and four RBIs
- 11 different Tigers have scored at least one point
- The Tigers and Beacons meet Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Memphis next hosts Central Arkansas on Tuesday at 4 p.m.